The market need
Because of the reasons listed below urban pest control operators have to move from easy to apply carpet bombing to more complex integrated pest management approaches:
- Increased risk due to climate change and (more importantly) the increased transport of people and goods
- Increased environmental awareness
- Increased regulatory pressure
- Increased resistance of pests against chemicals
Avia-GIS develops professional software for area-wide risk mapping of progressive spread of vector borne diseases, detrimental changes in biodiversity and ecotoxicological effects and patterns. To respond to the market need, we are currently developing SMARTSENZ® with support from the European SME Instrument Program. It is a software package to support integrated pest management of urban pests. As part of this development we are expanding our software tools:
- from area-wide risk mapping to urban risk mapping
- from disease vectors to all urban pests
- from mapping risk to also include risk management
- from outdoors to indoors
SMARTSENZ® is currently under development with support from the SME Instrument Program from the European Commission. Our innovative concepts are tested in a series of living labs:
- In France with our partner EDIALUX France: in an urban context, in the agro-food industry, in hospitals and in social housing.
- In South Africa with Avia-GIS RSA, our local daughter pest-control company: in the hospitality industry.